Single Particle Soot Photometer – Extended Range
The SP2-XR delivers accurate, size-resolved single particle measurements of black carbon mass and size with real-time, direct output suitable for monitoring applications and field research.TALK TO AN EXPERT
The SP2-XR user interface enables straightforward data analysis due to intuitive, streamlined direct output of measured and derived parameters, including mass and particle size.
The SP2-XR toolkit serves to process calibration data and produce a threshold table which is directly imported in the SP2-XR software. This allows for quick analysis of scattering and incandescence calibration data, and real-time output of black carbon mass and particle size.
- Quickly analyze scattering and incandescence calibration data.
- Produce a threshold table, which is imported into the user interface of the SP2-XR to allow for real-time conversion of the SP2-XR to black carbon mass and particle size.
Laser incandescence and particle light-scattering
- High optical power intracavity Nd:YAG laser heats light-absorbing particles to the point of incandescence.
- Single particle incandescence is measured and correlated to black carbon mass.
- Single particle light scattering is measured and used to indicate particle size, non-BC containing aerosol number, and mass concentrations.
|Measured Parameters||Single-particle laser incandescence Single-particle light scattering|
|Derived Parameters||Single particle black carbon mass Single particle size distribution for purely scattering particles|
|Auxiliary Parameters||Temperature – Air, Computer, Laser Pressure – Cavity and Flow Controller Flow – Sample and Sheath|
|Particle Size Range||Scattering Channel: 100-500 nm diameter Incandescent Channel: 50-800 nm diameter (Assumes black carbon density of 1.8 g/cm3)|
|Laser||Nd:YAG Laser – 1064 nm, up to 1 MW/cm2 intracavity circulating power|
|Sample Flow||30-120 standard cm3/min|
|Computer System||Intel i7-6600U CPU 8 GB RAM 128 GM mSATA SSHD|
|Weight||13 kg (28.5 lbs)|
|Dimensions||W: 20 cm, H: 21.5 cm, L: 40.5 cm, not including inlet hardware and fuses|
- Beam scan camera and software
- YAG optics kit (spare YAG crystal and output coupler)
- Laser alignment bench
- Nebulizer for liquid samples with optional auto-sampler
- Aircraft Aerosol Inlet
Droplet offers a three-year service plan to ensure that your SP2-XR continues to deliver high-quality data. This plan locks costs upfront at the time of funding application, and covers annual calibration, alignment, cleaning, wear-item replacement, calibration documentation, and shipping. Specific services provided for SP2-XR include:
- Shipping to and from Droplet facility for service
- Incoming instrument evaluation and health check
- Full system leak test
- Filter check and replacement
- Laser power and beam image verification
- Power supply and electronics updates
- Voltages set and verified
- Optical cleaning
- Crystal alignment
- Laser alignment
- O-ring replacement
- Hardware replacement
- Jet alignment
- APD alignment
- Pulse widths, thresholds, and configuration settings updated
- Flow measurements and coefficients calibration
- Pump testing
- PSL sizing and black carbon mass distribution calibration using DMA
- Ambient distribution evaluation
- Zero count testing
- Data processing
- Software, firmware, and antivirus update
- 100% unit functionality test
- Calibration data, Calibration Report, Certificate of Calibration provided
Dependence of Laser-Induced Incandescence on PhysicalProperties of Black Carbon Aerosols: Measurementsand Theoretical Interpretation
The single-particle soot photometer (Model SP2) developed by Droplet Measurement Technologies, Inc. in Boulder, CO quantifies the mass of BC inside individual particles by means of laser-induced incandescence (LII) without interference from internally mixed semi-volatile materials or mineral dust particles.Read More
Laser-induced incandescence: Particulate diagnostics for combustion,atmospheric, and industrial applications
In this paper, we review the fundamentals and applications of laser-induced incandescence (LII) for particulate diagnostics in a variety of fields.Read More
Consistency and Traceability of Black Carbon MeasurementsMade by Laser-Induced Incandescence, Thermal-OpticalTransmittance, and Filter-Based Photo-AbsorptionTechniques
In this study, we show that black carbon (BC) mass concentrations measured by different techniques are consistent and traceable.Read More