Single Particle Soot Photometer – Extended Range
The SP2-XR delivers accurate, size-resolved single particle measurements of black carbon mass and size with real-time, direct output suitable for monitoring applications and field research.TALK TO AN EXPERT
The SP2-XR user interface enables straightforward data analysis due to intuitive, streamlined direct output of measured and derived parameters, including mass and particle size.
The SP2-XR toolkit serves to process calibration data and produce a threshold table which is directly imported in the SP2-XR software. This allows for quick analysis of scattering and incandescence calibration data, and real-time output of black carbon mass and particle size.
- Quickly analyze scattering and incandescence calibration data.
- Produce a threshold table, which is imported into the user interface of the SP2-XR to allow for real-time conversion of the SP2-XR to black carbon mass and particle size.
Laser incandescence and particle light-scattering
- High optical power intracavity Nd:YAG laser heats light-absorbing particles to the point of incandescence.
- Single particle incandescence is measured and correlated to black carbon mass.
- Single particle light scattering is measured and used to indicate particle size, non-BC containing aerosol number, and mass concentrations.
|Measured Parameters||Single-particle laser incandescence Single-particle light scattering|
|Derived Parameters||Single particle black carbon mass Single particle size distribution for purely scattering particles|
|Auxiliary Parameters||Temperature – Air, Computer, Laser Pressure – Cavity and Flow Controller Flow – Sample and Sheath|
|Particle Size Range||Scattering Channel: 100-500 nm diameter Incandescent Channel: 50-800 nm diameter (Assumes black carbon density of 1.8 g/cm3)|
|Laser||Nd:YAG Laser – 1064 nm, up to 1 MW/cm2 intracavity circulating power|
|Sample Flow||30-120 standard cm3/min|
|Computer System||Intel i7-6600U CPU 8 GB RAM 128 GB mSATA SSHD|
|Weight||13 kg (28.5 lbs)|
|Dimensions||W: 20 cm, H: 21.5 cm, L: 40.5 cm, not including inlet hardware and fuses|
- Beam scan camera and software
- YAG optics kit (spare YAG crystal and output coupler)
- Laser alignment bench
- Nebulizer for liquid samples with optional auto-sampler
- Aircraft Aerosol Inlet
The Lifecycle Care Program ensures SP2-XR integrity and performance vital to your research mission for 3 years or 3 calls (whichever comes first). When conducting complex and time intensive laboratory or field measurements it is critical to avoid down time, and ensure data collection accuracy. The program consists of 3 key deliverables for each year or call:
- Instrument Logistics
- Instrument Integrity
- Instrument Performance
Lifecycle Care Program Includes:
- Shipping to and from Droplet Measurement Technologies facility
- Customs handling, including CARNET ATA if required
- Incoming instrument evaluation and health check
- Software and firmware validation
- 100%-unit functionality test
- Calibration data
- Calibration report
- Certificate of calibration
At times, our technician might discover an instrument issue, which might not be covered by the Lifecycle Care Program or by our product warranty. In such case we will reach out to you with a service & repair estimate to allow you to provide us with the next steps of action.
Dependence of Laser-Induced Incandescence on PhysicalProperties of Black Carbon Aerosols: Measurementsand Theoretical Interpretation
The single-particle soot photometer (Model SP2) developed by Droplet Measurement Technologies, Inc. in Boulder, CO quantifies the mass of BC inside individual particles by means of laser-induced incandescence (LII) without interference from internally mixed semi-volatile materials or mineral dust particles.Read More
Laser-induced incandescence: Particulate diagnostics for combustion,atmospheric, and industrial applications
In this paper, we review the fundamentals and applications of laser-induced incandescence (LII) for particulate diagnostics in a variety of fields.Read More
Consistency and Traceability of Black Carbon MeasurementsMade by Laser-Induced Incandescence, Thermal-OpticalTransmittance, and Filter-Based Photo-AbsorptionTechniques
In this study, we show that black carbon (BC) mass concentrations measured by different techniques are consistent and traceable.Read More